- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Sweet Beets Recipe
|Beets||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange marmalade||2 Tablespoon (or ginger marmalade)|
Calories 175 Calories from Fat 37
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.5%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10.8 mg
Sodium 173.8 mg7.2%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g12.9%
Sugars 27.4 g
Protein 2 g3.8%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 9.7%
Calcium 2.3% Iron 5.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash the beets gently, leaving skins intact.
2) Remove their leaves.
3) In a large saucepan, place the beets.
4) Cover with cold water and boil.
5) Lower the heat; cover the pan and simmer, 45 minutes, or until beets are tender.
6) Drain beets.
7) Cover them again with cold water; slip off skins.
8) Cut beets into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.
9) In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; mix well.
10) Add vinegar.
11) Over medium heat, boil, stirring constantly.
12) By this time mixture will be thickened and translucent.
13) Add marmalade and butter; heat, stirring, until butter melts.
14) Add beets; cook, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until beets are heated through, about 10 minutes.
15) Serve the heated sweet beets as relish.