- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fennel Mixed Grain Bread Recipe
|Bulgur wheat||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Pinch|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fennel seed||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs), divided|
|Cornmeal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 865 Calories from Fat 151
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.5%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g10.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1478.8 mg61.6%
Total Carbohydrates 157 g52.2%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.2%
Sugars 16.1 g
Protein 22 g44.5%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 2.8%
Calcium 12.8% Iron 58.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven moderate to 375 degrees.
2) In a small bowl put bulgar in boiling water for 30 minutes.
3) In a large bowl mix yeast, warm water and sugar. Keep aside till foamy.
4) Add honey, oil, fennel seed and salt into yeast mixture and mix well.
5) Add to it the bulgar mixture.
6) Using a wooden spoon beat 2 1/2 cups of the flour and cornmeal.
7) Place dough on a floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes using remaining flour to form a smooth and elastic dough.
8) Shape the dough into a ball and put into a lightly-oiled bowl.
9) Turn it on the bowl to coat all sides.
10) Place a kitchen towel over it. Keep in a warm spot and let the dough rise about 1 hour until doubled.
11) Punch the dough and divide into two loaves.
12) Put in two 9" by 5" by 3" pans.
13) Cover with tea towels and let loaves rise again till doubled.
14) Place in middle of the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
15) Keep on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes and remove from pans.
16) Serve warm.