- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Dried black beans||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Carne seca||1 Pound|
|Raw smoked tongue||2 Pound|
|Linguica defumada||1⁄2 Pound|
|Beef chuck||1⁄2 Pound|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), chopped|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7210 Calories from Fat 3521
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 391 g602.2%
Saturated Fat 133 g665.2%
Trans Fat 1.3 g
Cholesterol 1286 mg
Sodium 6988.1 mg291.2%
Total Carbohydrates 477 g158.9%
Dietary Fiber 105.8 g423.1%
Sugars 20.9 g
Protein 448 g896.6%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 81.2%
Calcium 96.9% Iron 354.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cut the carne seca into one-and-one-half-inch squares and add to the beans.
3. Peel the tongue and cut it into large cubes. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer two minutes, drain and add to beans.
4. Prick the sausages with a fork, cover with water, boil a few minutes, drain and add to the beans.
5. Cut the chuck in half and add to the beans.
6. Cut the salt pork into one-half-inch slices and add to the beans. Season the stew with salt and pepper.
7. When the beans are tender, brown the garlic lightly in the shortening. Add about one cup of the beans, mash and return to the large pot of beans. Adjust the seasonings.
8. Remove the pieces of meat to a hot platter and turn the beans into a chafing dish or bowl. Serve with braised pork loin, collards, onions in sauce sweetened orange slices and hot rice. Cook the rice according to package directions, adding one and one-half tablespoons shortening and one-half teaspoon vinegar for each two cups uncooked, long-grain rice.