- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fava Bean Purée and Bruschetta Recipe Video
|Fresh fava beans||4 Pound (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Vegetable stock/Warm water with garden herbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Carrot||1 Medium (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Potatoes||2 Small (FAVA BEAN PUREE) (Optional)|
|Shallot||1 Medium (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Parsley||1 Ounce (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon (FAVA BEAN PUREE)|
|Fava bean puree||1 Pound (BRUSCHETTA)|
|Bread loaf||1 Medium (BRUSCHETTA)|
|Burrata||1 Pound (BRUSCHETTA)|
|Prosciutto di parma||1 Pound (BRUSCHETTA)|
Calories 810 Calories from Fat 255
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.2%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 90 mg30%
Sodium 3046.4 mg126.9%
Total Carbohydrates 96 g31.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.3%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 53 g106.4%
Vitamin A 55.4% Vitamin C 36%
Calcium 47.5% Iron 39%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) clean all the Fava Beans out of their shells and set aside. Divide a medium sized shallot in four parts and cut the carrot in a half, rinse the parsley but do not chop it.
2) To make the fava bean puree, bring your Vegetable Stock to a boil. If you are working from scratch, a few fresh herbs will do the trick, not to worry... just pick up some parsley, a half carrot and bring them to a quick boil in a 1/2 cup of water.
3) Divide the shallot and the carrot in four parts, rinse the parsley but do not chop it. Place the herbs in a pot with 1/2 cup of mildly salted water and bring to a boil.
4) Add the fava beans and lower the flame, drain with a ladle after just a couple of minutes, do not discard the broth as you will need it soon!
5) Rinse the beans under cold water, make sure you do not cook them.... the secret of this very delicate but "opinionated" spread lives in the freshness of the bean. In fact the whole process you put your beans through is to soften their outer shell, so the core can pop out.
6) Remove the skin one by one.
7) In an electric mixer process the fava beans, add a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil to flavor and to help soften the mix, add salt and pepper. In case you would like to add volume (all of a sudden somebody is staying for dinner), this is the moment you can add a potato or too (previously boiled).
8) Use a few tablespoons of the vegetable stock or the broth you just made to help the purée reach a soft but firm consistency.
9) To make the bruschetta, slice the bread and toast it on both sides.
10) Spread one tablespoon of fava bean purée on each slice.
11) With your hands break the burrata in a small ceramic bowl and add a generous teaspoon of it on top, then garnish with about 1/3 of a slice of prosciutto.
12) Serve the fava bean puree while it is still fresh. To serve the bruschetta, dress it with extra virgin olive oil, salt to taste and a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper.