- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fava Bean and Black Olive Tapenade Recipe Video
|Fava beans/Edamame bean||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black olives||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sun dried tomatoes||4 Tablespoon|
|Roasted garlic||4 Tablespoon (approximately 2 bulbs)|
|Lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Marjoram||2 Teaspoon (you may also use tarragon, dried oregano or dried basil)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1592 Calories from Fat 555
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.5%
Saturated Fat 2.8 g14.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4807.3 mg200.3%
Total Carbohydrates 191 g63.6%
Dietary Fiber 50.4 g201.4%
Sugars 32.1 g
Protein 51 g101.3%
Vitamin A 28.8% Vitamin C 69.8%
Calcium 55.3% Iron 140.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Boil the fava beans in their shells for 4 minutes, drain and set aside to cool. When cool, peel the beans from the shells and place beans in the food processor. Discard the shells. If using edamame, boil for 4 minutes.
2. When cool, peel the beans from the shells and place beans in the food processor. Discard the shells. Skip this step if using edamame.
3. Pulse a few times to break down the beans.
4. Add the remaining ingredients.
5. Pulse until mixed but still a bit chunky.
6. Chill the tapenade to enhance the flavor.
7. Store in the fridge, in an airtight container.
8. Serve the tapenade with crackers, on crostini or in pasta, or use as a sandwich spread.
Fava Beans: If you are using fresh fava beans you will need to purchase approximately 1-1/2 pounds to get a cup of fresh beans.
To make Roasted Garlic: Preheat the oven to 375 Degrees F. Cut off the top ¼” of the garlic bulb exposing the individual cloves. Wrap the garlic bulbs in aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for 45 -60 minutes or until the cloves feel soft when pressed. Allow the garlic to cool enough to touch then squeeze out the roasted garlic from their skins.