- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Farmers Wife Egg Loaf Recipe
|Eggs||8 , beaten|
|Carrot||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Turnip||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Peas||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), freshly shelled|
|Green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|White sauce||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
Calories 558 Calories from Fat 416
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 47 g72.5%
Saturated Fat 25.4 g127.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 545 mg
Sodium 435.8 mg18.2%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.1%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 18 g36.4%
Vitamin A 121.6% Vitamin C 30.4%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 14%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) In a saucepan with a tightly fitting lid, cook all the vegetables for about 15 minutes with the salt, butter and sugar. In case the vegetables are not young and fresh, add a little water.
3) In the meantime, add the pepper, salt and nutmeg to the eggs. Then add the white sauce and ½ of the cream. Mix well.
4) Liberally grease a deep 2-quart timbale or charlotte mold.
5) Pour the mixture into the prepared mold or timbale and cook in a baking dish of water in the preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes, till the eggs are just set.
6) Onto a round serving dish, turn the egg mold and cover it with the remainder of the cream that has been lightly salted.
7) Around the edges of the egg, arrange the vegetable garnish.
8) Serve hot on a decorative serving platter. Makes a good appetizer.