- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Farfalle with Spicy Sausage, Squid, Tomatoes, and Onions Recipe
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Red onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Turkey sausage||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Sage||2 Teaspoon, snipped|
|Basil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), snipped|
|Squid||1 Pound, sliced into 1/4-inch thick rounds|
Calories 730 Calories from Fat 106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.7%
Saturated Fat 2 g10.2%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 306.7 mg
Sodium 508.1 mg21.2%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.7%
Dietary Fiber 8.5 g34.1%
Sugars 13.9 g
Protein 45 g90.1%
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 47.3%
Calcium 12% Iron 28.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat the broiler.
2. Lightly rub the tomatoes with the olive oil, place them on a tray and broil them, turning them once or twice, until they are charred.
3. Then remove them, allow them to cool and when they are cool, slip off their skins and puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor until they are smooth.
4. In a skillet heat the 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat add the onion with a dash of salt, reduce the heat to low and saute the onion, stirring it often, until it is golden, approximately 20 minutes.
5. Then add the sugar, saute the onion 2 minutes longer and set the onion aside.
6. In a Dutch oven Heat the remaining 4 teaspoons of olive oil over high heat, add the sausage and sear it on all sides.
7. Reduce the heat and cook the sausage until it is done, approximately 5 minutes.
8. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add the pasta to the water.
9. Adding the garlic to the sausage saute the garlic, stirring it constantly, until it is fragrant.
10. Add the pureed tomatoes, bring the sauce to a simmer, cook the sauce adding the sage, basil and squid until the squid turns bright white, approximately 2 minutes and then season with the salt and pepper.
11. Drain the pasta, add it to the sauce and heat over low heat for 1 minute.
12. Among 6 individual plates divide the pasta and sauce.
13. To serve garnish each serving with the reserved caramelized onion.