- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ethiopian Style Spicy Red Lentil Stew Recipe Video
|Red lentil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Onion||2 Large, finely chooed|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), sliced|
|Ginger root||1⁄2 Small|
|Berbere||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Can be located at Ethiopian specialty stores)|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Low sodium is preferred)|
|Black cumin||1 Teaspoon (Can be located at Asian specialty stores)|
Calories 340 Calories from Fat 23
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.2%
Saturated Fat 0.39 g1.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2500.7 mg104.2%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.4%
Dietary Fiber 21.1 g84.4%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 14 g27%
Vitamin A 214.7% Vitamin C 28.7%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 11.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the lentils before hand for 20 minutes.
2. Sauté the finely chopped onion in a heated large skillet until clear.
3. Add the oil and then put in the garlic and ginger. Sauté a little more
4. Then put in 2 tablespoons berbere mix and cumin and a little water to keep it from sticking.
5. Add the cooked lentils, water and stock and cook everything on low until the lentils completely disintegrate for 45 minutes again. Cover and let it rest for 20 minutes more.
6. Serve hot with steamed rice or flat breads
You can put in paprika if required to redden the dish.