- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Escarole And Rice Soup Recipe
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Defatted chicken broth/Homemade or canned||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Arborio rice/Non instant rice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||To Taste|
|Parmesan cheese||To Taste, grated|
Calories 143 Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.3%
Saturated Fat 0.63 g3.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.22 mg
Sodium 615 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.6%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 8 g16.6%
Vitamin A 49.3% Vitamin C 17.5%
Calcium 19.6% Iron 13.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Separate the leaves of escarole, discarding wilted or bruised ones
2. In a large basin of water, soak the escarole to wash off dirt.
4. Shred the leaves into 1-inch wide strips by stacking a few leaves at a time. Set aside.
5. In a large heavy skillet or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
6. Add and sauté the garlic and onion for about 3 to 5 minutes until soft and golden.
7. Add escarole and salt sautéing another 3 minutes longer until wilted.
8. Stir in 1 cup of the broth, cover, and steam the escarole for 10 to 15 minutes until it is tender.
9. Add the remaining broth and bring to a boil.
10. Stir in the rice, cover, and simmer 15 minutes until rice is tender-crisp.
11. Adjust the seasoning.
12. Ladle the soup into warm bowls.
13. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste.
14. Pass additional cheese at the table if desired