- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Escarole and Leek Gratin Recipe Video
|Escarole||30 Ounce, chopped|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Leeks||24 Ounce, cut in 1/2-inch slices|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), peeled, finely chopped|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Vegetable stock||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Parmigiano-reggiano cheese||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), grated|
|Italian breadcrumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Italian Classics Roasted Garlic Breadcrumbs)|
Calories 318 Calories from Fat 201
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.3%
Saturated Fat 12 g59.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 58.3 mg
Sodium 272.7 mg11.4%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21%
Sugars 3.9 g
Protein 10 g20.3%
Vitamin A 92.3% Vitamin C 38.8%
Calcium 34.7% Iron 17.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Blanch escarole 2 min in large pot of boiling salted water. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water. Drain in colander, pressing to drain off all excess moisture. Set aside.
3. Add oil and leeks to braising pan on MEDIUM. Cook, stirring, about 6 minutes, until leeks are soft but not browned. Add garlic and cook 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Add heavy cream and simmer for 4 minutes to reduce.
5. Add escarole. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and vegetable stock. Bring to simmer.
6. Remove from heat and fold in 3/4 cup cheese. Blend well and transfer to a 3-qt casserole dish.
7. Mix remaining 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup parsley, and bread crumbs in small bowl. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture before baking.
8. Bake 25 minutes, or until top is golden-brown.
9. Serve hot and bubbly, straight out of the oven.
Can be prepared a day ahead. Sprinkle topping mixture on just before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake about 45 min.