- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Episode 128 - No Weep Lemon Meringue Pie - 4-7-2013 - HD Recipe Video
|Pie shell||1 (9" diameter)|
|White chocolate||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Lemon||2 , zested|
|Lemon juice||5 Ounce (3 to 4 lemons)|
|Rice flour||1 3⁄4 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||1 Ounce|
|Egg white||5 Ounce|
|Granulated sugar||6 Ounce|
Calories 400 Calories from Fat 118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 6 g30.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61.1 mg
Sodium 172.1 mg7.2%
Total Carbohydrates 68 g22.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5%
Sugars 45.7 g
Protein 5 g10.8%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 32.4%
Calcium 3.5% Iron 3.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Brush the melted white chocolate all over the bottom and side of the pie shell, to make a thin layer.
2. In a saucepan, put together water, 3 ounces of sugar and lemon zest, and bring to a boil.
3. In a bowl, put together 3 ounces of sugar, rice flour and eggs and whisk well to combine.
4. Once the lemon zest mixture comes to a boil, slowly stream the liquid in the egg mixture whisking continuously.
5. Transfer the entire mixture in a saucepan, and bring it to a boil on medium heat, whisking continuously for about 1 to 3 minutes until the mixture bubbles and thickens.
6. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in lemon juice and butter, and whisk well until the butter is melted and lemon juice is fully incorporated.
7. In a pie shell, stream the egg lemon mixture and allow to cool, and refrigerate for about 1 to 2 hours or until it sets.
8. In a bowl over double boiler, whisk together butter egg white and sugar until the temperature reaches 150 F.
9. Once the mixture reaches 150 F, remove from the double boiler and beat it in a stand mixer, on medium speed until the mixture reaches medium stiff peak.
10. Fill the egg white mixture in a piping bad and make small rosettes all over the pie or just spread it with spatula.
11. Move the blowtorch all over the egg white mixture just until it turns light brown in colour.
12. Cut in wedges and serve as desired.
Brushing of white chocolate on the pie shell, prevents the shell from getting soggy.
Use a clean bowl, for whipping egg whites, and whip it with little vinegar to make it extra clean.
Make sure the egg white is properly separated with not bits of egg yolk.