- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Election Cake Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Very Warm)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Figs||8 , finely chopped|
|Confectioners sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (10 X Powdered Sugar)|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3753 Calories from Fat 583
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g102.1%
Saturated Fat 35.5 g177.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 555.2 mg
Sodium 2198.8 mg91.6%
Total Carbohydrates 735 g244.9%
Dietary Fiber 31.1 g124.4%
Sugars 352.8 g
Protein 72 g144.6%
Vitamin A 52.2% Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 60.9% Iron 162.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat milk, sugar and butter or margarine in a small saucepan until butter melts; remove from heat; cool slightly.
3. Beat eggs into yeast mixture with a wooden spoon, then stir in cooled milk mixture. Stir in 2 cups of the flour, pumpkin pie spice and salt; beat until well blended; beat in raisins and figs. Beat in enough of remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Knead 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl; turn to coat other side; cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place, away from draft, 1 1/2 hours, or until double in bulk.
5. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board; kneaddough several times; shape into an 8-inch ball. Place in a greased 8-inch springform pan or a greased deep 8-inch layer cake pan. Cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in warm place, away from draft, 45 minutes; remove wrap.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 40 minutes, or until cake gives a hollow sound when tapped; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool.
7. Beat 10X sugar, hot water and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth; spread over cake.