- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Elba's Sancocho-Caribbean Soup Recipe Video
|Pork ribs/Chicken or beef||1 3⁄4 Pound|
|Sweet pepper||1 (seeded, rinced and chopped)|
|Green bell pepper||1 , roughly chopped|
|Salt||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Cilantro leaves||3 , roughly chopped (rinsed and chopped)|
|Onion||1 Large, roughly chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, roughly chopped|
|Water||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Squash||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Yautia blanca||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Yautia lila||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Sweet potato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Spanish yam||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Idaho potato||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Yuca||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Green plantain||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut|
|Corn||2 , quartered|
|Bay leaf||1 Large|
|Tomato sauce||4 Ounce|
Calories 876 Calories from Fat 199
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.6%
Saturated Fat 6.4 g31.8%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 97.9 mg32.6%
Sodium 2176 mg90.7%
Total Carbohydrates 131 g43.8%
Dietary Fiber 14.9 g59.5%
Sugars 10 g
Protein 41 g82.5%
Vitamin A 72.8% Vitamin C 132.4%
Calcium 7.8% Iron 28.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In pot heat water, add in onion, tomatoes, peppers and salt. Boil for few minutes.
2. Add in meat pieces, stir and bring to boil. Turn the heat to medium high. Simmer for 90 minutes.
3. Add root vegetables to the pot – squash, yautia blanca, yautia lila, sweet potato, spanish yam, Idaho potato, yuca and green plantain to the simmering soup.
4. Pour in tomato sauce, sofrito, bay leaf and 1 tbsp. salt.
5. Add in corn, cover the pot and simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Ladle the soup in a bowl and serve hot.