- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eight Layer Shortbread Slices Recipe
|Unsifted all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||18 Tablespoon (1 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons / 2 1/4 Sticks, At Room Temperature)|
|10x confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 195 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.7%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g36%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 29 mg
Sodium 5.2 mg0.2%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.6%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 2 g4.6%
Vitamin A 6.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.9% Iron 6.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Beat the butter and sugar together in a medium-size bowl until blended. Stir in the vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture to make a soft dough. Divide the dough in half.
3. Knead the cocoa powder into one-half of the dough in a bowl. Flatten both the doughs and wrap separately in plastic wrap or wax paper. Chill for 1 hour or until the dough is easy to handle.
4. Roll each batch of dough between 2 pieces of wax paper into a 10-inch square. Push the sides in to make absolutely even, using a ruler or long-bladed knife. If the dough becomes too soft or sticky, refrigerate the dough on a cookie sheet.
5. Remove the top piece of wax paper from the nonchocolate dough. Brush the top with some of the egg white. Remove the wax paper from the top of the chocolate dough; invert the chocolate dough onto the nonchocolate dough, matching the sides up exactly. Peel off the remaining piece of wax paper. Cut the dough into 4 equal strips, each 10 x 2 1/3 inches. Brush the strips lightly with the egg white. Stack the dough strips neatiy to make 8 alternating layers. Wrap the stack in plastic wrap. Chill for several hours or overnight. The dough can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
6. Preheat the oven to moderate (375°).
7. Cut the dough crosswise into slices slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. Place the slices on ungreased cookie sheets, 1 inch apart.
8. Bake the cookies in the preheated moderate oven (375°) for 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Store the cookies in tightiy covered containers in a cool, dry place.