- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Egyptian Grilled Eggplant Recipe Video
|Garlic clove||4 Medium|
|Sea salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, freshly squeezed|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
Calories 197 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.1%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 203.5 mg8.5%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.7 g27%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 3 g5.8%
Vitamin A 13.6% Vitamin C 27.7%
Calcium 6.9% Iron 8.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat a grill (preferably outdoor charcoal).
2) Grill the eggplants, for about 15 to 20 minutes turning often, until they are cooked through and lighly charred.
3) Meanwhile, mash the garlic with the salt in a mortar to form a mushy paste.
4) Add the sesame seeds and mash lightly. Add the olive oil and mash it all together.
5) Add the lemon juice and the parsley and set aside until the eggplants are done.
6) Remove the eggplants to a large plate or cutting board, let them cool, and cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh, avoiding as much of that charred skin as possible.
7) In a bowl, place the eggplant flesh and add the reserved garlic-olive oil mixture.
8) Stir well, mashing up any large pieces of eggplant.
9) Serve with toasts or flatbread.