- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggs Poached on Tomatoes and Smoked Herring Recipe
|Tomatoes||4 Medium, peeled and sieved|
|Smoked herring||3 Ounce, broiled for 5 to 7 minutes, skinned, filleted and crumbled|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), thinly sliced|
|Caraway seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, pounded to a paste|
|Sweet red pepper||1 Medium, halved, seeded, deribbed and diced|
Calories 418 Calories from Fat 319
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 37 g56.2%
Saturated Fat 5.9 g29.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 218.5 mg
Sodium 286.5 mg11.9%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.7%
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 13 g26.3%
Vitamin A 92.6% Vitamin C 101.3%
Calcium 9.4% Iron 15%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a skillet, stir the tomatoes, harissa, paprika, garlic and caraway seeds in the heated oil.
2) Gently stir in the herring and water, then simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
3) Stir in the red pepper and cook further over a low heat for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
4) Adjust the seasoning, if required, then gradually crack the eggs over the sauce.
5) Simmer over a low heat, until the egg whites are set.
6) Serve the Eggs Poached on Tomatoes and Smoked Herring, immediately on individual serving plates.