- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggplant Pastitsio Recipe
|Parmesan cheese||5 Ounce (At Room Temperature)|
|Eggplants||2 Pound (2 Medium, 1 Pound Each)|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Tomato sauce||32 Ounce (Two 16 Ounce Each Cans)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), pressed|
|Allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Dry rosemary||1 Pinch|
|Mint sprigs||4 , minced|
|Whole wheat macaroni||12 Ounce|
|Whole wheat flour||3 Tablespoon (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 753 Calories from Fat 310
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.9%
Saturated Fat 12.2 g60.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178.8 mg
Sodium 702.1 mg29.3%
Total Carbohydrates 86 g28.6%
Dietary Fiber 16.9 g67.7%
Sugars 21.8 g
Protein 29 g59%
Vitamin A 28.3% Vitamin C 53.9%
Calcium 46.6% Iron 28.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a food processor bowl, place the Parmesan cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces, and process with the metal blade until finely grated. Keep aside.
2. With a knife, or using the slicing disc of a food processor, cut the eggplant into medium slices.
3. With a knife or in the food processor, finely chop the onions.
4. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni al dente, drain and keep warm.
5. Pre-heat oven to 400Â° F.
6. Take 2 baking pans and oil them with several tablespoons of olive oil. Place the eggplant slices neatly on them.
7. In the pre-heated oven, bake the pans at 400Â° F until soft, for 15 minutes, turning the slices once or twice.
8. Remove from oven and place on kitchen towels to soak excess oil. Keep aside.
9. Place a large dutch oven, over medium-high heat and heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
10. Add onions to the oil and saute until soft and transparent but not coloured.
11. Add the tomato sauce, salt, honey, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, rosemary and mint and stir everything to mix.
12. Decrease the heat to medium, cover and cook for 15-25 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the flavors blend.
13. Stir in the eggplant and go on cooking for about 10 minutes more, or until the mixture is thick.
14. In a saucepan, melt the butter.
15. With a wire whip, stir the flour in.
16. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly over medium heat.
17. Next, add salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, stirring constantly until the custard sauce thickened and bubbly and remove from heat.
18. In a small bowl, beat 2 of the eggs.
19. With a wire whip, slowly blend in about 4 tablespoons of the hot sauce into the beaten eggs, and pour this mixture back into the sauce, stirring constantly.
20. In a large bowl, beat the rest of the eggs.
21. Add the cooked macaroni and mix well with the eggs.
22. In a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan, spread half of the macaroni mixture on the bottom, sprinkle 1/4 of the grated Parmesan o this.
23. Next, spread half of the custard sauce and another sprinkle of 1/4 of the grated Parmesan.
24. Cover this arrangement with with the eggplant mixture, sprinkle another 1/4 of the grated Parmesan and spread the remaining sauce. Finally, sprinkle the last 1/4 of grated Parmesan and a few pinches of nutmeg.
25. Bring the temperature of the oven down to 350Â° F and bake for 30-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and dish is hot.
26. Let the dish stand for about 5 minutes. cut into squares and serve.
27. Serve cut into squares.