- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Traditional Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
|Eggplants||2 Small, cut in 1/4 inch rounds (Do Not Peel)|
|Eggs||2 , lightly beaten|
|Dry bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), mixed|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled, halved|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (About)|
|Canned italian plum tomatoes||1 1⁄4 Ounce (Do Not Drain, 1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Minced fresh basil/2 teaspoon dried basil||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||1⁄2 Pound, sliced very thin|
Calories 836 Calories from Fat 583
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 66 g101.6%
Saturated Fat 19.5 g97.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178 mg
Sodium 1777.7 mg74.1%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 7.8 g31.2%
Sugars 8.9 g
Protein 33 g66.4%
Vitamin A 28.6% Vitamin C 18.5%
Calcium 72% Iron 18.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Bread the eggplant slices by dipping them in beaten eggs and then coat them on both sides with seasoned crumbs.
2. Arrange on a plate, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. In a large skillet or a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil
4. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon and reserve for another purpose.
5. Into the garlic oil, tip in the tomatoes, tomato paste, scatter basil and sprinkle salt, and pepper. Stir to mix well.
6. Cover skillet with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking to the pan.
7. Preheat oven to 350° F.
8. In a large skillet, heat a few tablespoons of oil
9. Slide the breaded eggplant slices, in batches, and sauté for a few minutes until evenly browned.
10. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling.
11. Add more oil and fry the remaining eggplants slices.
12. In a large shallow casserole or baking dish, spoon and spread the prepared tomato sauce on the base.
13. Make 2 layers of eggplant, tomato sauce, Parmesan, and mozzarella.
14. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until heated though and cheese has melted and lightly browned.
15. Serve this dish as a side course or as a main dish accompanied with bread.