- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggplant Loaf Recipe
|Eggplant||1 Pound, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes (1 Medium One)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Divided)|
|Saltines||12 , made into crumbs|
|Reduced calorie margarine||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon, melted (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon, From Tub)|
|Reduced calorie cream cheese spread||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, shredded|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Dash|
|Hot sauce||1 Dash|
Calories 291 Calories from Fat 156
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g26.9%
Saturated Fat 8.9 g44.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 141.1 mg
Sodium 736.8 mg30.7%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8.1%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.2%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 13 g26.6%
Vitamin A 17.7% Vitamin C 6.7%
Calcium 15.9% Iron 9.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a 2 1/2-quart saucepan, bring the eggplant, water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and keep aside.
3) In a medium bowl, stir the cracker crumbs and margarine together, then remove and reserve 1/2 cup crumb mixture.
4) Into the bowl with the crumb mixture, add creamed cheese spread, eggs, Cheddar cheese, onion, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix well.
5) Add eggplant into the mixture and stir well to combine.
6) In a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, spread the eggplant mixture and sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture
7) Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow the loaf the cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
8) Slice and serve immediately on individual serving plates.