- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggplant Cannelloni With Ham And Mozzarella Recipe
|Eggplants||3 Pound (Use 3 Large, 1 Pound Each)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Sweet red pepper/Sweet green pepper||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Mushrooms||10 Ounce, chopped|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Low sodium tomato sauce||8 Ounce (Or 1 Can Reduced Sodium)|
|Dried basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thin reduced sodium reduced fat ham slices||6|
|Basil leaves||12 Large|
|Part skim mozzarella cheese||6 Ounce, cut into 12 sticks, 2 x 1/2 x 1/2 size|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 395 Calories from Fat 141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.8%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.3 mg
Sodium 508.1 mg21.2%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 14.6 g58.3%
Sugars 14.4 g
Protein 26 g52.3%
Vitamin A 43.7% Vitamin C 91.6%
Calcium 49.8% Iron 19.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Slice lengthwise each eggplant into 6 wedges, discarding the outer slices.
3. Arrange eggplant slices on a baking sheet and brush them with about 1 tablespoon oil.
4. Bake them in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes on each side until tender and brown.
5. In the mean time, in a skillet, heat remaining oil over moderate heat.
6. Add and sauté onions, sweet peppers, and garlic for about 5- 7 minutes until tender.
7. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 5 minutes.
8. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and basil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until thickened. Take off the heat.
9. On each eggplant slice, spread a little ricotta cheese and layer with 1/2 slice of ham, 1 basil leaf and finally 1 mozzarella stick at the stem end of each slice and roll up.
10. Spead about half of the tomato sauce onto the base of the baking dish and arrange the eggplant rolls seam side down.
11. Coat them rolls with the remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan cheese.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes until sauce is hot and bubbly and cheese has melted and lightly browned.
13. Serve the egg plant rolls hot, as an appetizer or as a side dish