- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggplant And Red Pepper Pizza With Rosemary Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Olive oil||10 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Salt||2 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Eggplants||2 Large, thinly sliced lengthwise|
|Red bell peppers||4 Large|
|Baking potatoes||2 Large, thinly sliced|
|Finely chopped rosemary||4 Teaspoon|
|Goat cheese||3⁄4 Pound, crumbled (Bucheron)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 767 Calories from Fat 312
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.5%
Saturated Fat 13.3 g66.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 44.7 mg
Sodium 826.3 mg34.4%
Total Carbohydrates 88 g29.4%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.4%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 25 g50.4%
Vitamin A 56.6% Vitamin C 147.2%
Calcium 43.1% Iron 36%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
3 cups flour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until the dough is firm and pliable, about 5 minutes. Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough down and cut it into 8 equal pieces. Flatten each piece into a small disk and wrap individually in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use. (The can be prepared to this point and frozen for up to 1 month.)
2. In a large nonreactive colander, layer one-third of the sliced eggplant and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Repeat this procedure with two more layers of eggplant and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Place a plate over the eggplant and weigh it down with cans or a heavy pot; let drain for 1 hour.
3. Roast the red peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler as close to the heat as possible, turning, until charred all over. Place the peppers in a paper bag to steam for 5 minutes. Peel the peppers and remove the cores, seeds and membranes. Cut the peppers lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place in a bowl; toss with 1 teaspoon of the oil.
4. Pat the eggplant dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add one-fourth of the eggplant slices and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the cooked eggplant to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining 3 batches of eggplant and 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
5. Cook the potato slices in lightly salted boiling water until just tender, about 5 minutes; drain well.
6. Preheat the oven to 500°. Sprinkle a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the cornmeal.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 piece of the pizza dough to form a 9-inch round 1/8 inch thick. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet and brush lightly with some of the remaining olive oil.
8. Place a layer of potato in the center of the pizza, leaving about a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the rosemary and 3 tablespoons of the goat cheese. Place 3 or 4 slices of eggplant over the cheese and brush the top with some of the remaining olive oil. Scatter one-eighth of the pepper strips over the pizza and season with an additional 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon salt and
1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings and bake 2 pizzas at a time. For each new batch of pizzas, sprinkle the baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of cornmeal.
9. Bake the pizzas on the lowest rack of the oven until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve hot or at room temperature.