- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggplant and Meat Patties Parmigiana Casserole Recipe
|For tomato sauce|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound (1 Can, Undrained)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound (1 Large Sized)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Seasoned salt||1 Teaspoon|
|For meat patties|
|Chuck||1 1⁄2 Pound, ground|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Slice)|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
|Mozzarella cheese||4 Ounce, sliced (1/2 Of 8 Ounce Package)|
|Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 427 Calories from Fat 254
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.2%
Saturated Fat 10.2 g50.9%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 104.1 mg34.7%
Sodium 768.4 mg32%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.6%
Sugars 6.2 g
Protein 22 g43.2%
Vitamin A 17.5% Vitamin C 20.4%
Calcium 16.9% Iron 15.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash eggplant and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, seasoned salt and pepper and coat over eggplant slices.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. In a medium bowl, gently mix together ground chuck, egg, bread crumbs and salt.
5. Using hands, roll them into 8 patties of 1/2 inch thick.
6. In a medium saucepan, heat butter and sautÃ© onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until onion is golden-brown.
7. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and bring the mixture to boiling.
8. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
9. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil and sautÃ© few eggplant slices at a time.
10. Remove as they brown and add more oil if needed.
11. In another large skillet, brown the patties without fat until they are brown on both sides.
12. Into a shallow, round 10-inch baking dish, spoon half of the tomato sauce and arrange eggplant and meat alternately around the side of the dish.
13. Spoon all remaining sauce in middle and on top.
14. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese and then, mozzarella on top.
15. Bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or just until mozzarella is melted and golden.
16. Serve hot.