- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Eggless Sponge Fruit Cake Recipe
|Soda bicarbonate||2 Teaspoon|
|Allspice||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Candied peel||4 Ounce|
|Maple syrup||1 Tablespoon, warmed (1 dessertspoon)|
|Sour milk||1⁄2 Pint|
Calories 707 Calories from Fat 228
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40%
Saturated Fat 16 g80%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61 mg20.3%
Sodium 505.1 mg21%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.2%
Dietary Fiber 6.7 g26.8%
Sugars 39.5 g
Protein 13 g25.6%
Vitamin A 16.2% Vitamin C 70.9%
Calcium 19.7% Iron 25%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Grease an 8-inch X 5-inch pan with oil or butter and dust it with flour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375° F
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift in the flour and soda.
4. Cut the butter into small cubes and disperse in the flour.
5. Using your fingertips or a pastry blender, rub the butter into the flour, until it resembles cake crumbs.
6. Mix the sugar, spice and fruits into the flour mixture.
7. Make a well in the centre, and add warm syrup and milk.
8. Mix quickly and lightly just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be a bit lumpy.
9. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan.
10. Bake in preheated oven for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
11. Remove and let cake cool in the pan before inverting onto serving plate.
12. Slice and serve the cake warm or cold, for breakfast or as a teatime snack.