- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ecuadorian Shrimp Recipe Video
|Shrimp||1 Pound, peeled, deveined (retain the shells for the broth)|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs), divided|
|Plantain||4 Medium, peeled, grated|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Achiote seeds||1 Teaspoon (for the oil)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Dried parsley/Fresh parsely||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 261 Calories from Fat 34
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6%
Saturated Fat 0.68 g3.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 98.5 mg32.8%
Sodium 188.3 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.6%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 16 g31.3%
Vitamin A 38.6% Vitamin C 49.4%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 25.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. FOR SHRIMP BROTH: In a pan take the shells of the shrimp and pour 6 cups of water. Bring it to boil and continue boiling for 15 minutes. Tun off the heat. Allow it to cool. Strain it and set aside.
2. Peel the plantain and grate it into a bowl and set aside.
3. Cook the achiote seed in oil and set aside to cool.
4. Prepare the other ingredients according to the list.
1. In a pan, add the achiote oil. Put garlic and onion and turn on the heat.
2. Saute for few minutes and add the cilantro. Saute till the onions turn brown.
3. Put the parsley and stir. Pour the shrimp broth into it along with 2 more cups of water.
4. Season with salt and bring it to boil. Add the shrimp and bring it back to boil.
5. In a blender, pour 1 ½ cups of the liquid from the shrimp sauce. Add the grated plantain and blend till smooth.
6. Transfer it into the shrimp stew and cook till thickens while continuously stirring it to avoid sticking to the bottom. Turn off the heat.
7. In a serving plate, serve this stew garnished with cilantro and accompanied with white rice.