- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Easy French Bread With Yeast Recipe
|Yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Melted unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 343 Calories from Fat 191
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g33%
Saturated Fat 13 g65%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 60.5 mg
Sodium 1095.3 mg45.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.57 g2.3%
Sugars 29.9 g
Protein 10 g19.6%
Vitamin A 13.3% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 33.2% Iron 1.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Stir once, and leave to stand while you scald the milk.
3. Add the salt and sugar to the milk and cool to lukewarm.
4. Add to the bowl with the butter if you use it.
5. Add 1 cup of the flour. Beat with a rotary beater or electric mixer until smooth.
6. Slowly add remaining flour, mixing with your hands when the mixture begins to clog the beater.
7. Knead the dough well on a lightly floured surface until it feels smooth and springy.
8. Rub the inside of the bowl with a little oil.
9. Put in the dough, brush the top with oil, and cover loosely with a damp cloth.
10. Leave in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
11. Punch the risen dough to flatten it and turn it onto a lightly floured surface.
12. Shape it into 1 or 2 sausages. Roll them flat.
13. Roll them up or shape them into long slender loaves.
14. Place the loaf or loaves on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Arrange them well apart if making two.
15. Slash the top or tops diagonally at equal intervals. Brush with a little more oil or warm milk.
16. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
17. Heat oven to 425°F.
18. Beat water and egg white together and brush over loaf or loaves.
19. Bake 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 400°F.
20. Brush loaves with egg white again, and bake for 25 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool on a rack.