- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Easter Egg Bread Recipe
|Milk||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Sugar||160 Milliliter (2/3 Cup)|
|Butter/Margarine||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Lard/Vegetable shortening||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages, 1/4 Ounce / 7 Gram Each)|
|Warm water||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup, 105 To 115 Degree F / 40 To 46 Degree C)|
|All purpose flour||1375 Milliliter (5 1/2 Cups)|
|Egg yolks||3 Large|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Cold water||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Raisins||60 Milliliter (1/4 Cup)|
|Diced mixed candied fruits||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoons)|
|Egg filling||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Sesame seeds||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7815 Calories from Fat 1612
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 182 g280.2%
Saturated Fat 77.2 g386.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 766.3 mg
Sodium 2210.1 mg92.1%
Total Carbohydrates 1323 g441%
Dietary Fiber 46.6 g186.3%
Sugars 249.7 g
Protein 207 g414.5%
Vitamin A 48.3% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 91% Iron 406.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sprinkle yeast over the warm water in small bowl; stir to mix. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Combine milk and yeast mixtures in large mixer bowl; add 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) flour. Mix at low speed; then beat at medium speed until smooth. Let stand, covered, in warm place until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
4. Beat egg yolks and vanilla into batter. Add 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) flour; mix at low speed, then beat at medium speed until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes. Gradually stir in as much of the remaining flour needed to make soft dough, about 1 cup (250 mL).
5. Knead dough on floured surface, adding just as much remaining flour as needed to prevent sticking, until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn dough over to grease top. Let rise, covered, in warm place untO doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Beat egg white and cold water lightly in small bowl. Punch down dough. Pinch off 1/4 of the dough (about 1 cup or 250 mL); reserve. Knead raisins into remaining dough; shape dough into ball. Place on greased baking sheet; flatten to make 1/2 inch (1.3-cm) thick circle, about 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter. Brush lightly with egg white.
7. Divide reserved dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each into 5-inch (13-cm) long strand; shape each into "S." Arrange in 2 rings on outer portion of dough circle. Decorate border with candied fruits.
8. Let bread rise, loosely covered, in warm place until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
9. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare Egg Filling.
10. Brush dough again with egg white. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake 30 minutes, covering border design with small pieces of foil when golden to prevent burning. Spoon Egg Filling onto center. Bake until bread is brown and sounds hollow when tapped, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Carefully remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack.