- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Easter Bonnet Cake Recipe
|Fudge icing/Butter icing||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Any Flavor, Use Four Times Quantity)|
|Toasted coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For victoria sandwich:|
|Flour||6 Ounce (With Plain Flour Use 1 1/2 Level Teaspoons Baking Powder)|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce|
|Eggs||3 Large (If The Eggs Are Unusually Small, Allow 1 Dessertspoon Of Water To Each Egg To Make Up The Extra Liquid)|
Calories 1970 Calories from Fat 903
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 103 g158.2%
Saturated Fat 24.4 g121.9%
Trans Fat 7.2 g
Cholesterol 317.2 mg
Sodium 385.4 mg16.1%
Total Carbohydrates 242 g80.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.5%
Sugars 168.6 g
Protein 19 g38.2%
Vitamin A 68.1% Vitamin C 0.14%
Calcium 5.5% Iron 31.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven at 350-375°F or Gas Mark 4-5 and grease and flour two 7-inch sandwich tins.
To make the Victoria Sandwich:
2. In a bowl, sieve self-raising flour or flour and baking powder together.
3. In another bowl, take fat and sugar.
4. Beat it well until it is soft and white.
5. Break eggs into a cup to ensure each one is fresh before beating thoroughly in a basin.
6. Add a little of beaten egg to the earlier creamed mixture. Stir it well to ensure that it is thoroughly blended.
7. Add more egg and beat it again. Repeat this procedure till all the eggs are used. If the mixture begins to curdle, add flour. Or, add a little egg, beat well then add a little flour and stir it gently. Repeat this process until the mixture gets thoroughly mixed.
8. Distribute the mixture equally between the two tins. Spread slightly away from the centre so that the two halves will be flat.
9. Bake it preheated oven for 20 minutes. If using a gas oven, place the two tins side by side on a shelf just above the 2 rungs from top of the oven, or you can even put one under the other. In an electric oven or solid fuel, put one tin above the second rung from the top and the other second rung from the bottom. You can even have the tins side by side on the same shelf.
10. A great way to find out if the cake is done is if it has shrunk slightly from sides of tin. Then check it by pressing gently but firmly on top. If no impression is left by the finger, the cake is ready and can be taken out from the oven. Then, keep it aside for 2 minutes to set.
11. Invert the cake from tin into a wire sieve to cool. If need be, tap the tins on the table before inverting the tin so that it can come out easy from the sides and bottom of the tins. Your Victoria Sandwich is ready.
12. Split the large Victoria sandwich through the centre.
13. Prepare butter icing with butter, icing sugar and any flavor.
14. Sandwich the large cake together with butter icing.
15. Spread butter icing on top of the large cake. Press small cake into centre.
16. Spread icing on the sides and top of the cake.
17. Press toasted coconut on all surfaces.
18. To serve Easter Bonnet Cake, tie a band of ribbon around the hat or small cake. Decorate as desired with fruits or flowers.