- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Dum Aloo (Baby Potatoes Cooked In Spicy Gravy) Recipe Video
|To cook the baby potatoes|
|Baby potatoes||12 Medium|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For frying the baby potatoes|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As needed for deep frying)|
|For the onion and spice mixture|
|Green cardamom||3 Medium|
|Black peppercorns||7 Medium|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Fennel seeds||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, cut into cubes|
|Cumin powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Rest of the ingredients for the dum aloo|
|Degi mirch/Red chili powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed)|
Calories 183 Calories from Fat 113
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.7%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.11 mg
Sodium 423.6 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.5%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 2 g4.7%
Vitamin A 20.7% Vitamin C 29.4%
Calcium 7.6% Iron 7.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Pressure cooker
1. In a pressure cooker, add the baby potatoes along with water and salt and cook until you hear 2 whistles of pressure release.
2. Once cooked, take out the potatoes, remove the skin and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the cooked baby potatoes until crispy and brown from the outside. (They may be shallow fried or even baked, as per your preference)
4. Once done, drain onto a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
5. Heat a pan with oil. Add green cardamom, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds. Saute until aromatic.
6. Add onions and saute until golden brown in color.
7. Turn off the heat and keep the onion and spice mixture aside to cool.
8. When cooled completely, transfer the mixture into a blender. Add tomatoes, cumin powder, coriander powder and blend until smooth.
9. Heat 4 tsp oil in a pan, add the prepared onion-tomato-spice mixture.
10. Add yogurt, stir and cook until oil starts separating from the spice mixture.
11. Add water as required, and salt. Stir to mix well.
12. Add the boiled and fried baby potatoes, gently stir. Cover and let cook on low-medium heat for 15 minutes.
13. Serve warm with roti, paratha or rice.