- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Dudhi or Lauki Halwa - Bottle-Gourd Pudding (Quick) Recipe Video
|Cashews/Nuts||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Raisins||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Bottle gourd||5 Cup (80 tbs), shredded (Remove the skin and seeds before shredding)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Low fat milk may also be used)|
|Green food color||3 Drop (Optional)|
|Dry milk powder||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fat free dry milk powder used)|
|Pistachio powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Use as per your taste)|
|Cardamom powder||1 Pinch (Use according to your taste)|
Calories 243 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 18 mg6%
Sodium 44.6 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.35 g1.4%
Sugars 38.6 g
Protein 4 g8.6%
Vitamin A 2.6% Vitamin C 17.4%
Calcium 13.9% Iron 2.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Pressure cooker
2. Food processor - to shred the bottle-gourd
1. Shred 5 cups of bottle gourd (after removing the skin and seeds).
2. Squeeze out all the water from it after shredding.
3. Heat up a pressure cooker and add ghee, let it melt. At this point add cashews and raisins (if using) and saute them.
4. Add the shredded bottle gourd and stir a little to coat with the melted ghee. Saute for about 4 minutes.
5. Add milk and green food color (if using) and stir a little. Cover the pressure cooker and cook till you hear 3 to 4 whistles of pressure release.
6. Once the dudhi (bottle gourd) is cooked, let the pressure cooker cool before you open it. Open the cooker and keep it on a medium - low heat, add the dry milk powder and pistachio powder. Stir well.
7. Once all the liquid has evaporated, add the sugar. Keep stirring till the sugar forms the syrup and is bubbling.
8. Continue to cook for about 5 to 6 minutes till it thickens and the ghee separates. Then, turn off the stove.
9. Add cardamom powder and stir well. Allow the mixture to cool. As it cools, it will thicken further.
10. Serve warm as it is or with vanilla ice-cream.
The halwa can be cooked a little more until it thickens further and then it could be cut into pieces and served.
The halwa may be refrigerated as well before serving.
The dudhi halwa may be garnished with slivered almonds and cashews along with a few raisins.