- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Double Wheat Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 948 Calories from Fat 140
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.7%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.2 mg
Sodium 1796.4 mg74.9%
Total Carbohydrates 178 g59.4%
Dietary Fiber 19.9 g79.8%
Sugars 21.9 g
Protein 32 g64.5%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 0.2%
Calcium 17% Iron 55.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Combine remaining honey with milk, butter or margarine and salt in a small saucepan; heat until butter melts. Pour into large bowl; cool to lukewarm. Stir in yeast mixture.
3. Stir in whole wheat flour and wheat germ until smooth; add enough all-purpose flour to make a soft dough.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, using only as much flour as needed to keep dough from sticking.
5. Place dough in a buttered large bowl; turn to bring buttered side up. Cover with towel. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
6. Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead a few times; invert bowl over dough; let rest about 10 minutes.
7. Divide dough in half and knead each half a few times; shape into 2 loaves. Place loaves in two buttered 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
8. Let rise in a warm place, away from drafts, 45 minutes, or until double in bulk.
9. Bake in a hot oven (400°) 40 minutes, or until browned and loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.