- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Double Mocha Cake Recipe
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|All-purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Brewed cold coffee||5 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 1 Tablespoon)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|For the creamy mocha frosting|
|Butter/Margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), softened|
|Sifted powdered sugar||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 , beaten|
|Brewed cold coffee||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 1 1/2 Teaspoons)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
Calories 2507 Calories from Fat 852
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 97 g148.6%
Saturated Fat 38.4 g192.1%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 402 mg
Sodium 704.5 mg29.4%
Total Carbohydrates 397 g132.4%
Dietary Fiber 8.8 g35%
Sugars 304.4 g
Protein 26 g51.9%
Vitamin A 28.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 9.3% Iron 47.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. In a bowl cream shortening gradually add sugar beating well.
3. In a bowl beat egg yolks, add to creamed mixture and beat well.
4. In a bowl combine flour, cocoa, soda and salt and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
5. Stir in coffee and vanilla.
6. In another bowl beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form and gently fold into batter.
7. Grease and flour three 9-inch round cakepans and pour batter into it.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 23 to 25 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove layers from pans and cool completely.
For making the Creamy Mocha:
10. In a bowl cream butter combine powdered sugar and cocoa and gradually add to butter, beating until smooth.
11. Add remaining ingredients and beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
12. Spread Creamy Mocha Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.
13. Garnish with chocolate leaves, if desired and serve.