- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Dolmas With Chard Leaves Recipe
|Pine nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Swiss chard leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm), washed (Approximately 20 Leaves)|
|Yellow onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Light olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Long grain white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped dill/4 teaspoons dried dill||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||4 Teaspoon|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs), boiling|
|Lemon||1 , cut into wedges|
Calories 257 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g6.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 444.5 mg18.5%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.2%
Sugars 6.8 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A 26% Vitamin C 30.7%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Trim tough stalks from the chard leaves.
3) Cut through the central rib that extend into the leaf without cutting the leaves in half.
2) In a shallow pan put pine nuts and toast them for approximately 5 minutes.
3) Keep aside to cool.
4) Keep the oven set at 350 degrees F.
5) In a large pot boil salted water, add chard leaves and blanch for 30 seconds.
6) Drain the leaves and refresh in cold water, rinse and drain again.
7) Place the leaves carefully over paper towels to absorb extra moisture.
8) Heat a medium-sized saucepan with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat and fry onion in for 7 to 10 minutes.
9) Stir in rice, parsley, dill, currants, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice and the cinnamon stick.
10) Add 2 cups boiling water, cover and simmer for approximately 1 5 minutes till water dries.
11) Let stand at room temperature. Discard cinnamon stick.
12) Spread half tablespoon of olive oil in a 10-inch round or 9-inch square glass baking dish.
13) Place one chard leave on a plate with the raised veins upwards. If there is a tear in the leaf at the center, overlap edges to cover up the hole.
14) Mound a heaped tablespoon of rice mixture at the tail of the leaf and roll up. Tuck the sides while rolling up.
15) Put the dolma, seam side down, in the dish. Tightly pack the dolmas in the pan.
16) Follow the same process with the remaining leaves and rice mixture.
17) Rub remaining oil on the dolmas.
18) In a bowl mix 1 cup of boiling water with the 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1 /2 teaspoon of the salt.
19) Pour it over the dolmas.
20) Serve warm.