- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Dobos Torte Recipe Video
|Unsalted butter||12 Ounce (at room temperature for cake layers + 13 1/2 Ounce for Swiss buttercream)|
|Granulated sugar||12 Ounce (for cake layers + 5 ounces for Swiss buttercream + 7 ounces for caramel)|
|Salt||1 Pinch (for cake layers)|
|Vanilla extract||4 Gram (or 1 Teaspoon for cake layers + 1 dash for Swiss buttercream)|
|Egg||6 Large (at room temperature for cake layers)|
|All purpose flour||12 Ounce, sifted (for cake layers)|
|Chocolate chips||8 Ounce (for chocolate ganache)|
|Heavy cream||8 Ounce (for chocolate ganache)|
|Dark rum||1 Dash (for chocolate ganache) (Optional)|
|Egg white||4 Large (for Swiss buttercream)|
|Powdered sugar||3 Ounce, sifted (for Swiss buttercream)|
|Cocoa powder||6 Tablespoon, sifted (for Swiss buttercream)|
|Water||7 Ounce (for caramel)|
|Almond||1 Cup (16 tbs), pulverized or ground toasted (as required)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9055 Calories from Fat 4594
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 527 g811.3%
Saturated Fat 267.7 g1338.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2311.1 mg770.4%
Sodium 2898.3 mg120.8%
Total Carbohydrates 933 g311%
Dietary Fiber 56.5 g226%
Sugars 520.4 g
Protein 230 g459.7%
Vitamin A 266% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 100.8% Iron 219%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Cake Layers : Preheat the oven to 380°F to 410° F.
2) Line 3 double sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper and draw or trace a 9-inch cake circle in each pan. Lightly grease the parchment with a paper towel.
3) In a mixer bowl, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Beat to a light consistency, scrape well.
4) In a bowl, slightly beat the eggs with a fork and slowly add to the butter mixture until incorporated and the batter appears light, creamy and velvety texture.
5) Add all the sifted all purpose flour to the mixer bowl and just mix until it come together. Then mix by hand until all the ingredients are nicely mixed together.
6) Spread the cake batter on the prepared sheet pans, smoothen out with a spatula. There should be atleast six 9-inch cake circles and two 8-inch cake circles. If extra batter is there, bake an extra 8-inch cake circle.
7) Bake the cake layers in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes. After the cake layers are baked allow to cool.
8) When the cake layers are cooled sprinkle with cornstarch or powdered sugar and alternate layers between cake and parchment paper.
9) Chocolate Ganache : In a large bowl, place the chocolate chips.
10) In a pot, bring the heavy cream to a boil and pour into the chocolate chips. Stir until completely melted.
11) Then add a splash of dark rum, stir well and allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature until the mixture has nice thick icing consistency.
12 ) Swiss Buttercream : In a clean electric mixer bowl, combine egg whites and granulated sugar. Whisk together gently just to combine.
13) Place the sugar egg white mixture over the double boiler and stir gently until it reaches 120 to 135°F.
14) Remove the bowl from heat and place on the electric mixer with the whip attachment and whip on high for 3 to 5 minutes.
15) Once the meringue has reached medium to stiff peaks, add in the vanilla extract and butter, starting on low speed and increasing to high speed until the icing comes together.
16) Then add a mixture of powdered sugar and cocoa powder sifted together. Mix on low to high speed until the buttercream comes together.
17) Caramel : In a pot, stir the water and sugar, cover and bring to a boil over a high heat. After about a minute, take off the lid and allow to caramalize.
18) Spread the caramel evenly on the 8-inch layer all the way to edge. Then allow the caramel to cool slightly, using your paring knife to pull off any caramel that has dripped onto the parchment.
Fold the parchment paper over so it touches the caramel, place a cutting board face down on top, then flip the whole thing over. The cutting board should be face up but underneath the 8-inch layer which should be upside-down. Quickly cut the layer using your chef knife into 16 pieces, flip the whole package over again, and separate the triangles.
19) Assembling : To assemble the Dobos torte take a cake layer and glue it onto a 9-inch circle with a little bit of icing. Spread a thin, flat, even layer of icing or ganache and then place another cake layer on top. Repeat until you have 5-7 of the Dobos layers stacked. Then just ice like a regular cake using the Swiss buttercream.
20) Take a small amount of pulverized or ground toasted almonds and just apply a small amount along the bottom of the cake. This helps give it a finished edge and hides the 9-inch cardboard without the need of a shell border.
21) Then divide the torte into 16 pieces by using a long serrated knife to lightly mark or imprint the icing on top. On each divided slice pipe a tight coil of icing starting from the middle and going all the way to the edge. Then take the caramel triangles and place them so the edge of the triangle meets the imprint but also lays against the coil. Make sure all the triangles are all evenly spread on top. Then finish it off by sprinkling more ground almonds onto the center of the cake.
22) Sprinkle more ground almonds onto the center of the Dobos Torte and serve.
If you use cold eggs and the cake mixture appears curdled, then quickly move a torch around the bottom of the bowl. That would help to warm up the mixture faster.