- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Diwali Special Basundi - Maharashtrian Rabri Recipe
|Full fat milk||1 Liter (about 4 cups)|
|Almonds||25 Gram, slivered|
|Pistachios||25 Gram, slivered|
|Cashewnuts||25 Gram, sliced|
|Chironji||1 Tablespoon, soaked and skinned (Buchanania seeds or Charoli)|
|Ghee||2 Teaspoon (clarified butter)|
|Powdered green cardamoms||1 Teaspoon|
|Saffron strands/A few drops essence of rose or kewra||4|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (It can be adjusted according to individual taste)|
|Rose petals||1 Tablespoon (if you are not using saffron)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1866 Calories from Fat 736
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 85 g130.7%
Saturated Fat 29.7 g148.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 126.8 mg
Sodium 408.5 mg17%
Total Carbohydrates 249 g83.1%
Dietary Fiber 10.1 g40.3%
Sugars 222 g
Protein 52 g103.3%
Vitamin A 23.3% Vitamin C 5.4%
Calcium 127.7% Iron 32.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Fry the nuts and raisins in ghee drain and keep aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the milk on medium heat.
3. When it comes to a boil, reduce the flame and cook till the milk reduces to half, stirring occasionally to prevent the milk solids from sticking to the bottom and burning.
4. When the milk has reduced, add the sugar and cook stirring till the sugar is dissolved. Now add saffron strands.
5. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the three-fourths of the fried nuts and rose essence if you are not using saffron.
6. You can serve the Basundi while it is warm but I would definitely advice chilling the dessert well before serving.
7. Ladle into dessert bowls and garnish with remaining nuts and rose petals.
8. You can serve the Basundi with hot fried puris if you like.
If you want to cut short the time and effort involved in reducing milk but simmering and stirring constantly with a ladle, you can use half & half.
An even quicker (short cut) method is by combining 3 cups of milk with 1 can evaporated milk. Use 1 can sweetened condensed milk instead of sugar. This method will take you flat 10 minutes and no more.
Add about 2 tablespoons of whipping cream, heavy cream or Malai at the end of cooking time. This will give you a nice thick creamy consistency dessert.
If you want to try non-traditional style fruity Basundi, add fresh fruits like chopped mango, custard apple pulp, grated apple, strawberries, green grapes, chopped pineapple or orange segments. You can add other dried fruits instead of nuts like dried figs, sultanas, apricots etc.