- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Diet Coq Au Vin Recipe
|Broiler fryer chicken||2 1⁄2 Pound, cut up|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped (To Make 1 Cup)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tarragon leaf||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Small white onions||1⁄2 Pound, peeled|
|Instant beef broth||2 Teaspoon (Or 2 Envelopes)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3071 Calories from Fat 1565
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 174 g267.2%
Saturated Fat 49.5 g247.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 850.4 mg
Sodium 2824 mg117.7%
Total Carbohydrates 107 g35.7%
Dietary Fiber 15.2 g61%
Sugars 31.8 g
Protein 236 g471.7%
Vitamin A 37.4% Vitamin C 120.1%
Calcium 35.3% Iron 96.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Remove chicken from skillet with tongs and place in a 8-cup casserole. Remove 2 tablespoons of the chicken drippings from skillet; reserve.
3. Saute chopped onion and garlic slowly, until soft, in remaining drippings in skillet; stir in 1 cup of the water, red wine, salt, tarragon and bay leaf. Bring to boiling. Pour over chicken in casserole; cover.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
5. While chicken bakes, return reserved chicken drippings to skillet; brown peeled onions slowly. Leave 6 of the mushrooms whole for garnish; halve remainder; add all to skillet. Toss to coat with pan drippings.
6. Add instant beef broth and 1/2 cup boiling water to skillet; cover. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon and reserve. Continue cooking onions, 15 minutes, or until tender and broth has evaporated, leaving a rich brown residue (watch carefully lest they scorch).
7. Place cooked chicken, mushrooms and onions in a heated serving dish. Remove bay leaf. Pour liquid from casserole into skillet. Bring to boiling. Blend flour with 1/4 cup cold water to make a smooth paste. Stir flour mixture into boiling liquid in skillet. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens and bubbles 3 minutes. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Garnish chicken with whole mushrooms and chopped parsley.