- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Diced Chicken with Fermented Black Beans Recipe
|Water chestnut/Cornstarch||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Skinless boneless chicken breasts||1 Pound|
|Dry sherry||3 Tablespoon|
|Dark soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Light soy sauce||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water chestnut/Cornstarch||1 Teaspoon|
|Shallots||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Minced ginger||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Fermented black beans||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Peanut oil||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 1659 Calories from Fat 1499
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 169 g260.7%
Saturated Fat 28.8 g143.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65.8 mg
Sodium 539.4 mg22.5%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g2.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.34 g1.4%
Sugars 1.1 g
Protein 29 g57.8%
Vitamin A 5.5% Vitamin C 6.2%
Calcium 3% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a medium-sized bowl, combine together the water chestnut powder or cornstarch, egg white and dry sherry. Stir quickly for about a minute or till the marinade is smooth.
2) From the chicken, remove any fat or cartilage and then cut the chicken into ¾-inch pieces. Add to the marinade and toss well till the pieces are all evenly coated.
3) In a small bowl, combine together the seasoning sauce ingredients and stir to properly dissolve the cornstarch or water chestnut powder.
4) Peel the shallots but do not chop. Keep them whole.
5) In another small bowl, combine together the garlic, ginger and black beans.
6) Place a Dutch oven or wok over high heat and let it heat for about 1 minute. Pour in the peanut oil and heat the oil till it hits a temperature of 350 degrees or till a sliver of garlic sizzles as soon as it comes in contact with the hot oil.
7) Stir the chicken once again in the marinade and bring the heat to high. Add the mixture all at once to the pan. Stir in a circular motion for about 1 ½ minutes or till the chicken has turned opaque.
8) Turn off the heat and very carefully drain the chicken and hot oil in a metal colander which has been set over a large bowl.
9) To the wok or a heavy skillet, return 1 tablespoon of the hot oil and add the whole shallots. Occasionally stir over low heat and cook for about 3 minutes or till the shallots have been thoroughly cooked.
10) Raise the heat to high once again and add the garlic, black beans and ginger. Stir for another minute.
11) Stir the seasoning sauce once and add it to the pan alongwith the cooked chicken pieces. Stir for another minute or till the chicken is evenly coated in the hot sauce. Keep the preparation warm in an oven.
12) Serve warm on a heated serving dish.