- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Potato Latkes (Potato Pancakes) A Fam Favorite Recipe Video
|Red potatoes||3 Cup (48 tbs), peeled, grated|
|Green onion||6 , chopped finely|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Seasoning salt/Regular salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Eggs||1 Medium, lightly beaten|
|All purpose flour||4 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil/Peanut oil||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Calories 476 Calories from Fat 371
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g64.5%
Saturated Fat 5.6 g27.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.3 mg7.8%
Sodium 493.3 mg20.6%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.2%
Sugars 0.9 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 7.8% Vitamin C 36.4%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 8.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Shred the potatoes in 3 different ways like long shreds short shreds and grated.
2. Put in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the juices and dry them as much as possible.
3. Transfer into a bowl. Set aside.
4. To the bowl with potatoes, add green onions, garlic, seasoning salt, black pepper and egg. Stir well to mix them till combined.
5. Add the flour little at a time and mix to incorporate. Test by making a patty. If it hold shape then it is the right consistency.
6. In a shallow skillet, pour oil to about an inch. Heat on medium heat till very hot.
7. Make patties from the batter. Place it in a large spoon and press to release any extra juice if present. Do not make thick patties.
8. Carefully put the patties in the hot oil and fry them till golden brown on both the sides.
9. Transfer them onto paper towels to drain off excess oil.
10. In a serving plate, serve the latkes with choice of main dish.