- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Deep South Yam Cake Recipe
|Flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Yams/Sweet potatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cooked, mashed|
|Sweetened rhubarb sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drained|
|Orange juice concentrate||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), frozen, thawed|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Orange peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts/Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Unsweetened chocolate squares||1 Ounce, melted (1 Square)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2559 Calories from Fat 1240
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 141 g217.2%
Saturated Fat 26.7 g133.5%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg
Sodium 4087.8 mg170.3%
Total Carbohydrates 317 g105.7%
Dietary Fiber 20.7 g83%
Sugars 184.3 g
Protein 33 g66.7%
Vitamin A 8.7% Vitamin C 38%
Calcium 83.5% Iron 84.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2) In a bowl, sift the flour, baking powder baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
3) In a bowl, cream the margarine and sugar together.
4) Stir in rest of the ingredients, mix well.
5) Blend in the flour mixture to make a slightly stiff batter.
6) In a greased 8-inch square pan, lined with a waxed paper at the bottom, evenly spread the mixture.
7) Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
8) Allow to cool in the pan on a rack, turn out and remove the paper, then frost, as desired.
9) Slice and serve on a serving platter.