- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Deep Fried Stuffed Shells Recipe
|Uncooked jumbo pasta shells||16|
|Eggs||2 Small, divided|
|Canned tuna/1 can of 6 ounces crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed||6 Ounce, drained, flaked|
|Shredded cheddar cheese/Shredded swiss cheese||4 Ounce|
|Tomato||1 Medium, peeled, seeded and chopped|
|Sliced green onions||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dry bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
|Tartar sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Serving)|
|Crisp salad greens||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Carrot curls||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
Calories 1527 Calories from Fat 1169
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 132 g202.9%
Saturated Fat 21.9 g109.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 123.7 mg
Sodium 608.4 mg25.3%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.6%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 11.5 g
Protein 31 g61.4%
Vitamin A 572.4% Vitamin C 45.6%
Calcium 33.1% Iron 21.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Follow package instructions to cook shells until they become firm but not hard.
2) Drain well, wash this under cold running water and drain again.
3) Allow the shells to cool by inverting them onto paper-towel-lined plate.
4) In a large bowl, lightly beat 1 egg and mix in tuna, cheese, tomato, green onions, basil and pepper for the stuffing.
5) Stuff cooled shells with tuna mixture using a large spoon.
6) In a small bowl, whip remaining egg with water.
7) Take a large, shallow dish; put bread crumbs in it and coat each stuffed shell with egg mixture and bread crumbs.
8) In a large, heavy saucepan, allow 2 inches of oil to heat over medium-high heat until it reaches a temperature of 365°F.
9) Maintain the temperature by adjusting heat and brown shells in it, a few at a time, for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, tossing once.
10) Drain on paper towels after removing with a slotted spoon.
11) If desired, garnish with crisp salad greens, carrot curls and dill sprigs and serve with tartar sauce.