- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Deep Dish Chicken Pies Recipe
|Fowl||4 Pound (Ready To Cook Fowl)|
|Celery leaves||1 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Small, sliced|
|Cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ham||1⁄4 Pound, chopped|
|Cooked peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Diced cooked celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Cooked onions||8 Small|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Corn meal||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Softened lard||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 740 Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.3%
Saturated Fat 10.1 g50.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 172.7 mg
Sodium 1178.4 mg49.1%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 58 g116.1%
Vitamin A 11.8% Vitamin C 20.8%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 26.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Place the fowl a large stock pot and cover with water.
2. Add salt, celery and onion to the pot.
3. Cover with lid and place on a medium low flame.
4. Simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until chicken is fork tender.
5. Remove chicken onto a platter.
6. Strain the broth and measure to equal 3 cups.
7. Preheat the oven to 425 degree F.
8. In a saucepan, add broth and blend in flour and cream.
9. Simmer for 6 minutes, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly. Take off the flame.
10. Shred large chunks of chicken meat off the bones and add to a bowl.
11. Add ham, peas, celery and parsley to the chicken.
12. In each of the 8 individual serving casseroles, add an onion and top with equal amount of chicken
13. Pour broth over the mixture.
14. To prepare the crust, combine flour, corn meal and salt
15. Cut in lard using a spatula.
16. Add 2 teaspoons of cold water and bind together into dough
17. Turn onto a flour dusted surface and roll out into 1/8 inch thick sheet.
18. Cut out circles 1 inch larger than casseroles rims.
19. Top the casseroles with the pastry and pinch the edges.
20. Prick pastry with fork
21. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes until pastry is golden brown.
22. Serve each casserole pie on a dinner plate.
23. Serve hot.