- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Deep Dish Cheese Onion and Potato Pie Recipe
|Hard cheese||8 Ounce, 1/2 coarsely grated, 1/2 cut into small chunk (200 Gram, Strong, You Mau Use Cheddar)|
|Creme fraiche||200 Milliliter (200 Milliliter Tub)|
|Shortcrust pastry||18 Ounce (500 Gram, 1 Pound 2 Ounce)|
|Floury potatoes||36 Ounce, thinly sliced (1 Kilogram, 2 Pound 4 Ounce)|
|Onions||2 , finely sliced|
|Spring onions||1 Bunch (100 gm), roughly chopped|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Pinch (Small Pinch)|
|Paprika||1 1⁄2 Pinch (Large Pinch)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Calories 547 Calories from Fat 227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.3%
Saturated Fat 10.5 g52.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 73.1 mg
Sodium 756.4 mg31.5%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.2 g16.8%
Sugars 4.8 g
Protein 25 g50.2%
Vitamin A 10.7% Vitamin C 32.7%
Calcium 59.6% Iron 15.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Pre-heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
2) Grease a ceramic or metal pie dish, or shallow cake tin, about 23cm wide with butter or oil, and coat a thin layer of flour.
3) Separately, mix the grated cheddar cheese with the creme fraiche in a bowl. Set it aside.
4) Roll out 2/3rd of the pastry dough so that it covers the floured tin surface. Cut out the dough that hangs out of the dish using a knife.
5) On top of the dough, layer potatoes and then scatter some of the sliced onions, spring onions and chunks of cheese over it.
6) Season the potatoes with salt, pepper, nutmeg and paprika.
7) Lay one more layer of potatoes. Scatter with more onions and cheese. Pour half of the creme fraiche mix on top.
8) Make 2 more layers. Every time you make a layer, push it down so that it does not come above the tin. Top the final layer by pouring in the remaining creme fraiche mix.
9) Roll the remaining pastry so that it fits over the potatoes.
10) With a beaten egg, brush the sides of the pastry. Then lay the pastry over the top.
11) Squeeze and crimp the sides together. Trim off the excess dough with a knife. Brush the beaten egg over the top all over again. Place it on a baking sheet,
12) Bake for 30 mins. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4. Bake further for 1 hr until the pie turns golden.
13) Allow the pie to rest at room temperature for 10 mins,
14) Cut the pie into slices and serve with a salad or baked beans by the side.