- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Date Cake Recipe
|Pitted dates||1⁄2 Pound, coarsely chopped|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3415 Calories from Fat 1246
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 143 g219.7%
Saturated Fat 30.6 g152.9%
Trans Fat 13.5 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg70.5%
Sodium 1451.9 mg60.5%
Total Carbohydrates 521 g173.7%
Dietary Fiber 26.6 g106.2%
Sugars 346.3 g
Protein 39 g77.7%
Vitamin A 5.5% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 19.6% Iron 74.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Combine together the chopped dates and 1 cup of boiling water. Cool the mixture to room temperature.
3) Cream together the sugar and shortening till the mixture is light.
4) Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
5) Sift together the flour, baking soda and ¼ teaspoon of salt.
6) To the creamed mixture, add the sifted dry ingredients, alternately with the date mixture, beating well after each addition.
7) Add the chopped walnuts and stir well.
8) In a greased and lightly floured 13x9x2-inch baking pan, bake the batter in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
9) Serve the Date Cake warm, at room temperature or chilled. A dollop of whipped cream makes a good accompaniment to the dessert dish.