- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Dark Rye Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (105° To 115° F)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
|Dill pickle juice/Sour pickle juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Caraway seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Dill seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Rye||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2973 Calories from Fat 481
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 55 g85.3%
Saturated Fat 11.3 g56.4%
Trans Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 185.1 mg
Sodium 1609 mg67%
Total Carbohydrates 551 g183.7%
Dietary Fiber 112.8 g451.3%
Sugars 30.2 g
Protein 120 g240.8%
Vitamin A 9.4% Vitamin C 7.9%
Calcium 48.6% Iron 151.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Take a small bowl with warm water, dissolve yeast and allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes for yeast mixture to turn bubbly.
3. Place a saucepan with buttermilk on medium heat and heat it. Transfer to a electric mixer bowl with dough hook, add pickle juice, 1 cup of cold water, dill seeds, caraway seeds, shortening, sugar and salt. Add yeast mixture, whole wheat and rye flours and beat well.
4. Transfer to a mildly floured board, knead for 3 minutes and shape into ball. Take a bowl, grease with oil, add balls, place with oil side on top. Lightly cover bowl and keep in a warm area, without drafts, for about 1.5 hours to double the dough. Press the dough down very hard.
5. Transfer to floured board and knead for 1 minute. Shape as loaf.
6. Take a 5-by-9-by-3-inch loaf pan, grease with oil and place the loaf. Using a towel, cover slightly and keep aside in a warm area, without drafts, for 1 hour for the dough to rise and double.
6. Take a small bowl, add egg yolk and water and whisk well. Apply the mixture on loaf and using single-edge razor blade, make a slight, lengthwise, on the loaf.
7. Once the bread sounds hollow on tapping, bake for 45 minutes.
8. Take out, cool, slice and serve.