- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut Tart Recipe
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter Or 1 1/4 Cups, Heavy Cream)|
|Creamy milk||1⁄4 Pint (2/3 Cup Or 150 Milliliter)|
|Bittersweet chocolate||5 Ounce, chopped (150 Grams, Dark One)|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram, 1/4 Cup, Superfine Sugar)|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon, Plain Flour)|
|Toasted hazelnuts||4 Ounce (1 Cup Or 115 Grams)|
|Icing sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|For the pastry|
|All purpose flour||5 Ounce (150 Grams Or 1 1/4 Cup)|
|Caster sugar||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon Superfine Sugar)|
|Ground hazelnuts||2 Ounce, toasted (50 Grams Or 1/2 Cup)|
|Butter||3 1⁄2 Ounce, diced (90 Grams Or Scant 1/2 Cup)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5067 Calories from Fat 3312
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 380 g584.2%
Saturated Fat 94 g470%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1282.7 mg
Sodium 684 mg28.5%
Total Carbohydrates 363 g121%
Dietary Fiber 28.8 g115%
Sugars 206.1 g
Protein 87 g174.9%
Vitamin A 78% Vitamin C 13.1%
Calcium 56.6% Iron 133.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Make a well in the centre, add the beaten egg and mix to a firm dough. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for a few seconds until smooth. Wrap in clear film (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface and use to line a 23cm/9in loose-based heart-shaped flan tin (quiche pan). Trim the edges. Cover and chill for a further 30 minutes.
4. Re-roll the pastry trimmings into a long strip, about 30cm/12in long. Cut this into six strips, each 5mm/1/4in wide, and make two plaits (braids) with three pastry strips in each. Curve into a heart shape and press gently to join together at both ends. Carefully place the heart on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and chill.
5. Put a heavy baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Prick the base of the pastry case with a fork. Line with foil and baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Bake the pastry plait on the shelf below for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
6.Pour the cream and milk into a pan and bring to the boil. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Whisk the eggs, caster sugar, vanilla and flour together. Pour the hot chocolate cream over the egg mixture, whisking all the time. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts.
7. Pour the chocolate and hazelnut mixture into the pastry case and bake for 25 minutes, or until just set. Allow to cool, then remove from the tin and transfer to a serving plate. Place the pastry rope on top, then lightly dust with icing sugar.