- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Danish Pastry Wreaths Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), softened (3 Sticks)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105 To 115°F)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Canned almond paste||8 Ounce (1 Can, 1 Cup)|
|Zwieback||8 , crushed to make 3/4 cup|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted (1 Stick)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Candied red cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Angelica||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7795 Calories from Fat 3528
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 401 g616.5%
Saturated Fat 237.4 g1187.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1182.8 mg
Sodium 2569.6 mg107.1%
Total Carbohydrates 977 g325.6%
Dietary Fiber 22.9 g91.5%
Sugars 491.7 g
Protein 83 g165.3%
Vitamin A 230.6% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 39.5% Iron 176%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat 3/4 cup milk slightly. Add granulated sugar and salt; stir to dissolve. Cool to lukewarm.
3. If possible, check temperature of warm water with thermometer. Pour into large bowl; sprinkle with yeast; stir to dissolve. Stir in milk mixture, egg and 3 cups flour; beat with wooden spoon until smooth. Mix in rest of flour with hand until dough leaves side of bowl.
4. Refrigerate, covered, 1/2 hour. Turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth. With covered rolling pin, roll into 16-by-12-inch rectangle.
5. Place chilled butter mixture on half of dough; remove paper. Fold other half of dough over butter; pinch the edges to seal.
6. With fold at right, roll out from center to a 16-by-8-inch rectangle. From short side, fold dough into thirds, making three layers; seal edges; chill 1 hour.
7. Repeat rolling and folding (if butter breaks through, brush with flour); seal edges; chill Vz hour.
8. Roll, fold again and seal edges; chill, wrapped in foil, 3 hours or overnight. Roll half of dough into a 22-by-8-inch strip. (Chill other half.) Cut into thirds lengthwise.
9. Mix Filling ingredients. Fill center of each strip with 1/3 cup; close edges over filling, pinching edges together tightly.
10. Cut in half crosswise. With hands, roll each rope on lightly floured pastry cloth to 14-inch length. Place 3 ropes side by side; pinch tops together. Braid into a strip.
11. Form wreath, 4 inches across in center, on brown paper on cookie sheet; pinch ends together to seal. Repeat with other three ropes to form second wreath on same cookie sheet. Repeat with other half of chilled dough, to make four wreaths in all.
12. Let rise in warm place 1 hour— until double in bulk.
13. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool on rack; freezer-wrap and freeze.
14. To serve or give as gift: Thaw 1/2 hour, still wrapped. Mix confectioners' sugar and milk (if glaze seems thick, add more milk); spread one-fourth over each pastry. Decorate with red cherries and angelica bits. Wrap in plastic wrap.