- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Punjabi Dal Makhani Recipe Video
|Urad dal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Red kidney beans||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs) (Rajma)|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, grated|
|Green pepper||1 , minced (Adjust To Taste)|
|Amchoor powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ghee/Clarified butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole red chilies||4 (Sabut Lal Mirch)|
|Red chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Lal Mirch)|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Tablespoon, shredded (For Garnishing)|
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.3%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.1 mg7%
Sodium 416 mg17.3%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.5%
Sugars 7.7 g
Protein 8 g16.4%
Vitamin A 12.6% Vitamin C 75.6%
Calcium 17.5% Iron 9.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash urad dal and kidney beans well; soak dal in 6 cups of water for about 8 hours. After soaking dal will be about 2 1/2 times the volume of the original.
2. In a pressure cooker add dal with four cups of water, salt, turmeric, ginger and green pepper, cook on medium high heat.
3. As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 25 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Dal and kidney beans should be soft and tender.
5. Lightly mash the dal and kidney beans, cook for another 5 minutes on low medium heat.
6. Add cream, garam masala, and amchoor powder and let it cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
7. In a small saucepan, heat ghee. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away then it is ready.
8. Add cumin seeds, and as the cumin seeds crack add asafetida, red chilies and red chili powder; stir for a few seconds; add 1 teaspoon of water to keep the spices from burning.
9. Pour the spiced ghee over dal and mix well.
10. Garnish with shredded ginger and serve hot.