- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Dal Makhani - Indian Recipe Video
|Black gram||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Whole urad with the skin)|
|Kidney beans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Rajma)|
|Bengal gram||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Chana dal)|
|Onion puree||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato puree||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As required)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped (To garnish)|
Calories 313 Calories from Fat 74
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.1%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.9 mg8%
Sodium 172.1 mg7.2%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 11.7 g46.7%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 15 g30.1%
Vitamin A 26.3% Vitamin C 15.8%
Calcium 24.3% Iron 19.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the black gram, kidney beans and Bengal gram in water overnight.
2. Boil and cook the dals separately and set aside.
3. Heat a pan, add ghee, onion paste and stir for a minute or so. (The onion paste is already cooked and stored)
4. Stir in tomato puree along with the onion paste, cover and let it cook for a few minutes.
5. Add garlic and ginger paste to the simmering onion and tomato mixture.
6. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt to taste and garam masala powder. Stir, cover and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
7. Add the cooked lentils (dals) along with some water. Stir and let it simmer covered for a few minutes.
8. Turn off the heat, stir in some heavy cream and serve.
9. Serve the dal makhani hot garnished with freshly chopped cilantro and a drizzle of heavy cream. The dish may be served with rice, roti, naan or paratha.