- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Grandma'S Curry Sauce Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Garlic clove||1 Small|
|Caraway seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Desiccated coconut||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1 Pint|
|Black treacle||1 Teaspoon|
|Sweet chutney||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, squeezed|
|Curry powder||4 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Curry paste||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 802 Calories from Fat 366
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g65.3%
Saturated Fat 24.6 g122.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61 mg
Sodium 1749.7 mg72.9%
Total Carbohydrates 98 g32.7%
Dietary Fiber 24.1 g96.3%
Sugars 29.5 g
Protein 22 g44.3%
Vitamin A 24.6% Vitamin C 55.7%
Calcium 35.2% Iron 96.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Peel and chop the onion,
2) Peel, core and finely dice the apple.
3) Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and apple and fry gently for about 5 minutes to soften.
4) Add the curry powder, and cook for a few minutes to draw out the flavor, then stir in the flour.
5) Pound together the bay leaf, garlic and caraway seeds.
6) Add the curry paste, salt, coconut and pounded garlic mixture to the pan.
7) Stir in the stock and bring to the boil.
8) Cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour.
9) Stir in the treacle, chutney and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
10) Strain and use as required.
11) It can be used as a sauce for serving cooked meat, fish or eggs, or it can be poured over fresh meat or chicken before cooking.
This sauce is better made a day in advance, giving the flavors time to mellow and mature before using.
This sauce can be made mild, hot or slightly sweet as per the preference.