- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Curried Parsnip Soup Recipe
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), clove, peeled and crushed|
|Chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Parsnips||1 Pound, peeled and chopped (450 Gram)|
|Vegetable stock||1 3⁄4 Pint (1 Liter)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Low fat natural yogurt||3 Tablespoon (For Serving)|
|Fresh coriander leaves||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 582 Calories from Fat 92
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.5%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.7 mg
Sodium 2084.1 mg86.8%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.5%
Dietary Fiber 37 g148.1%
Sugars 31.3 g
Protein 13 g25.2%
Vitamin A 29.6% Vitamin C 162.4%
Calcium 44.6% Iron 55.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Reserve until cooled. Grind the toasted seeds in a pestle and mortar.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Cook the onion until softened and starting to turn golden.
4. Add the garlic, turmeric, chilli powder and cinnamon stick to the pan. Continue to cook for a further minute.
5. Add the parsnips and stir well. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the parsnips are cooked.
6. Allow the soup to cool. Once cooled, remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
7. Blend the soup in a food processor until very smooth.
8. Transfer to a saucepan and reheat gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve immediately with the yogurt.