- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Curried Chicken and celery Pie Recipe
|Broiler fryer||1 , cut up|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Celery tops||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Frozen peas||10 Ounce (1 Package Cooked, Drained)|
|Pimiento||1 , chopped|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Milk||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5085 Calories from Fat 2720
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 303 g466.3%
Saturated Fat 85.2 g425.9%
Trans Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 1140 mg
Sodium 5405 mg225.2%
Total Carbohydrates 245 g81.8%
Dietary Fiber 22.7 g90.7%
Sugars 26.8 g
Protein 326 g652.1%
Vitamin A 207.6% Vitamin C 224.6%
Calcium 49% Iron 171.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Strain broth into a 4-cup measure; add water, if needed, to make 3 cups. Make Curry Cream Sauce.
3. Slip skin from chicken, then remove meat from bones. (It comes off easily while still warm.) Cut into bite-size pieces; toss with peas, pimiento and 2 cups of Curry Cream Sauce in medium-size bowl. Set aside for Step 5. (Save remaining sauce to reheat and serve over pie.)
4. Sift flour and 1 teaspoon salt into medium-size bowl; cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture is crumbly; stir in milk with a fork just until dough holds together.
5. Turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board; knead lightly 5 or 6 times. Roll out 1/2 of dough to a rectangle, 16x12; fit into a baking dish, 10x6x2. Spoon filling into shell.
6. Roll out remaining pastry to a rectangle about 14x7; cut into 9 long strips, each about 3/4 inch wide, with knife or pastry wheel. Lay 5 strips lengthwise over filling. Halve remaining 4 strips; weave across long strips to make a crisscross top. Trim overhang to 1 inch; fold under; flute.
7. Bake in hot oven (400°) 20 minutes; reduce heat to moderate (350°). Bake 25 minutes longer, or until golden.